June 11th, 2019
There’s nothing worse than going on vacation and realizing you’ve left something important behind. It's happened to many of us at SmilesForever Orthodontics! To help you keep your smiles and braces in good shape over the summer Dr. Brad Gilbert and Dr. Adam Wells recommend that you prepare an orthodontic travel kit to take along with you.
- Dental Wax. In case anything becomes loose or “pokey”, wax can often be applied to ease the discomfort until you are back in town and can come in to see us.
- Floss. You’ll want to keep your gums healthy by not breaking the daily flossing routine. Also, floss is handy to have on hand for some of our summer favorite foods like strawberries! You sure don’t want to flash your sparkly smile with seeds stuck in between your teeth and braces!
- Toothbrush. Who wouldn’t take a toothbrush? Those who might forget to pack it! If you’re planning a vacation in advance, ask us for a travel toothbrush at your next appointment. You can add it to your travel kit and not worry if you’ve left the trusty orthodontic toothbrush home alone!
- Homework. (AKA Rubberbands). Whether you’ve just started correcting your bite with rubberbands or are closing in on the homestretch of treatment and fine-tuning your bite with them, TAKE THEM & WEAR THEM. Not wearing rubberbands, or appliances as instructed may actually slow down your orthodontic treatment.
- Retainer(s). Yes, you’ll need to take your retainers with you on vacation to keep your teeth from moving. Always remember to put it away safely in a retainer case when not wearing.
- Invisalign® Aligners. Current Aligners will be in your mouth, but it’s a good idea to take your last set with you on vacation. If something happens to your current set, wear your most recent set and come see us as soon as you return.
Keep all of these items together in a separate “Braces Kit” and they will be easy to pack - and harder to leave behind!
To help keep your smile and braces in good health over vacation and the summer, remember to brush and floss daily, finish your homework (rubberbands & retainers) and avoid hard, crunchy and sticky foods.
Our SmilesForever Orthodontics team and doctors wish you a healthy and fun summer!