Our SmilesForever Orthodontics doctors and staff are SO excited it's National Pi Day! No - not THAT kind of pie - we're talking about pi or π!
What is Pi?
Written as 3.14, pi is a number representing the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. We calculate the circumference of a circle by multiplying its diameter by pi. Pi is thought to be a special number because it is an irrational number, meaning that it can't be expressed as a simple fraction. Mathematicians, scientists and other curious people have been fascinated by pi for hundreds of years trying to determine whether there is a pattern to its digits or whether they are completely random.
Well, to be a bit more exact, the number is 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510
58209749445923078164062862089986280348253421170679... we can TRY to be MORE precise but pi literally goes on forever!
Why do we celebrate National Pi Day?
National Pi Day came about in 2009 to promote mathematics. Our SmilesForever Orthodontics staff loves Pi Day because many businesses celebrate with pie deals. Yes - THAT pie! Pizza, fruit, cream, pumpkin, sweet potato, chicken, yummy, braces-friendly PIE!
Yummy Local "Pi" Deals we found online:
"Pies don’t have to be round. On National Pi Day (Thursday, March 14), visit Bojangles’ to experience three rectangular-shaped Sweet Potato Pies for the fitting price of $3.14."
"For Pi Day this year, Kroger grocery stores will offer fruit-based, sweet potato, pumpkin and no sugar-added pies for just $3.14, which is over 30 percent off their regular retail price."
"If you love Boston Market's Pot Pie - click on the link below or go to their website to download a coupon for a Buy 1 Pot Pie & A Drink - Get 1 Pot Pie FREE!"
Five Fun Pi Facts
- Albert Einstein was born on pi day in 1879.
- Pi is the number of times that a circle's diameter will fit around a circle's circumference.
- Without knowing the true value of pi, it's impossible to find the circumference of a circle.
- The first 31 digits of pi contain NO zeroes.
- In the first 6,000,000,000 numbers of pi:
- 0 occurs 599,963,005 times
- 1 occurs 600,033,260 times
- 2 occurs 599,999,169 times
- 3 occurs 600,000,243 times
- 4 occurs 599,957,439 times
- 5 occurs 600,017,176 times
- 6 occurs 600,016,588 times
- 7 occurs 600,009,044 times
- 8 occurs 599,987,038 times
9 occurs 600,017,038 times